Genetic Disorders Expert Forum
Kell question

Questions in the Genetics Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. This forum is for questions and support regarding a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Ashkenazi Jewish Diseases, Bleeding Disorders, Blood Clotting Disorders, Cancer Genetics and Hereditary Cancer Syndromes, Chromosome Abnormalities, Congenital Birth Defects, Cystic Fibrosis, Family History, Fragile X Syndrome, Infertility, Newborn Screening, Rare Genetic Disorders, Prenatal Screening and Testing.

Kell question

during my last pregnancy i tested positive for the kell antibody.  the baby was fine but i was told to get a titer drawn before deciding to have anymore children.  my titer is 32.  i want a doctor's opinion on whether or not to try to have anymore children.  what are the complications.  what could happen to the baby long term?  if it were you or your wife or daughter would you advise another pregnancy?  what are the actual chances of complications?  i can't seem to get a straight answer from any doctor and i have asked 3 different ones.  thanks
As you may know, Kell refers to a specific protein on the cell surface of red blood cells.  There are two major forms of Kell called K1 or K2. Some individuals may develop antibodies to Kell, which could cause anemia in the developing fetus ranging from mild to severe.

Unfortunately your question can’t be answered in this forum, and I appreciate that you must be very frustrated. However, the risk to a future pregnancy depends not only on your titers, but the Kell type of your baby’s father and other factors.

The best person to answer this question is a maternal fetal medicine specialist that has experience with this kind of issue, called alloimmunization. This doctor can do an overall evaluation of you and your partner to determine future pregnancy risks. You can find a local maternal fetal medicine physician through the Society of Maternal Fetal Medicine. Don’t give up asking, you will find the right doctor to thoroughly answer your questions.