Genetic Disorders Expert Forum
Lupus and HLA B27

Questions in the Genetics Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. This forum is for questions and support regarding a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Ashkenazi Jewish Diseases, Bleeding Disorders, Blood Clotting Disorders, Cancer Genetics and Hereditary Cancer Syndromes, Chromosome Abnormalities, Congenital Birth Defects, Cystic Fibrosis, Family History, Fragile X Syndrome, Infertility, Newborn Screening, Rare Genetic Disorders, Prenatal Screening and Testing.

Lupus and HLA B27
Is there any research that links lupus to being an HLA B27?
HLA B27 has been primarily associated with susceptibility to develop spondyloarthropathies, which are chronic, inflammatory joint diseases. Spondyloarthropathies include ankylosing spondylitis (AS), a subset of psoriatic arthritis, reactive arthritis, arthritis associated with inflammatory bowel disease, and undifferentiated spondyloarthropathy.
I knew all that. But there are over 100 different disorders now being linked to HLA B27, is Lupus one of them. Psoriatic arthritis and inflammatory bowel disease are now considered autoimmune disorders. There have been numerous diseases added recently to the suspected list of autoimmune disorders such as Schizophrenia. In the past HLA B27 was not correlated to autoimmunity but now obviously it is. I am positive for HLA B27 and have Lupus. My sister has autoimmune thyroid disorder and psoriatic arthritis. A brother has ulcerative colitis and years ago had Schizophrenia. I suspect a genetic HLA B27 connection to Lupus but as yet no one seems to have any knowledge.
A related discussion, HLA-B27, associated conditions, and the Lupus Connection was started.