Genetic Disorders Expert Forum
MS and MND

Questions in the Genetics Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. This forum is for questions and support regarding a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Ashkenazi Jewish Diseases, Bleeding Disorders, Blood Clotting Disorders, Cancer Genetics and Hereditary Cancer Syndromes, Chromosome Abnormalities, Congenital Birth Defects, Cystic Fibrosis, Family History, Fragile X Syndrome, Infertility, Newborn Screening, Rare Genetic Disorders, Prenatal Screening and Testing.

MS and MND

Is MS and MND connected in anyway? My Uncle is in the later stages of MND and my brother two years ago found out he has MS.

For quite a few years now i have had very odd symptoms; I did have a disectomy twelve years ago which did cause an alterered sensation in my right food and musle cramp at the time. Although this did get better over a couple of years. On and off now i am getting muscle twitching in different parts of my body; face both legs and arms, stiffness in my right leg and foot some days it is worse than others, but never seems to go away anymore, along with a strange sensation on the right side of my face. years ago i was sent for an EMG and although the doctor didn't say much about the results he did say that one of my frontal lobes had slower signals, but not to worry.

Although i put some of my symptoms down to nerve damage from the disectomy, my face and arms were never affected before. I have never asked my doctor if these symptoms could be that of MS or MND for fear of being told i'm being stupid, but my doctor doesn't know of my family history either.

I would be grateful for any information.
The motor neuron diseases (MNDs) are a group of progressive neurological disorders that destroy motor neurons, the cells that control essential voluntary muscle activity such as speaking, walking, breathing, and swallowing.

Many people believe that multiple sclerosis (MS) is an autoimmune disease and results from an autoimmune attack on myelin, the material that surrounds and protects nerve cells.

Although some of the motor neuron diseases may have similar symptoms to multiple sclerosis, there are some basic differences in disease pathology and progression. We recommend and encourage you to speak with your physician about your symptoms, family history, and concerns. We wish you the best.