Genetic Disorders Expert Forum
MS and my son
About This Forum:

Questions in the Genetics Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. This forum is for questions and support regarding a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Ashkenazi Jewish Diseases, Bleeding Disorders, Blood Clotting Disorders, Cancer Genetics and Hereditary Cancer Syndromes, Chromosome Abnormalities, Congenital Birth Defects, Cystic Fibrosis, Family History, Fragile X Syndrome, Infertility, Newborn Screening, Rare Genetic Disorders, Prenatal Screening and Testing.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

MS and my son

2 DAYS AGO I WAS JUST INFORMD MY SON'S  BIRTH FATHER HAS MS.....WHERE DOES THAT LEAVE MY 7 YEARS OLD SON.....DO I GET HIM CHECK???? IM WORRYD SICK!!!! WHAT R HIS RISK???
886824_tn?1253740254
The causes of MS are largely unknown. MS is most likely a multifactorial condition, which means that it involves a combination of genetic, lifestyle and environmental factors.

Many environmental factors have been proposed to possibly contribute to MS. Some of these factors include infections, environmental and industrial toxins, diet, and trace metal exposures. The associations, however, between these factors and MS remain inconclusive and unclear.

Some MS research is focused on the possible relationship between MS and sunlight exposure. When the body is exposed to sunlight, it naturally produces vitamin D. Therefore, people who live closer to the equator are exposed to greater amounts of sunlight and tend to have naturally higher vitamin D levels. Vitamin D is believed to have a beneficial impact on immune function and may therefore, help protect against MS.

It is currently well established that MS also runs in some families. Researchers believe that there are probably a number of genes that cause susceptibility to MS as well as influence the severity and progression of the disease. Families in which there are multiple affected, close relatives may have a stronger genetic component.

We recommend that you speak with your child's physician regarding his family history. You may also benefit from meeting with a genetic counselor who can review the family history and provide a more accurate risk assessment. You can find a genetic counselor at the National Society of Genetic Counselors website or through companies like mine, AccessDNA.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank