Genetic Disorders Expert Forum
Marfan Syndrome

Questions in the Genetics Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. This forum is for questions and support regarding a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Ashkenazi Jewish Diseases, Bleeding Disorders, Blood Clotting Disorders, Cancer Genetics and Hereditary Cancer Syndromes, Chromosome Abnormalities, Congenital Birth Defects, Cystic Fibrosis, Family History, Fragile X Syndrome, Infertility, Newborn Screening, Rare Genetic Disorders, Prenatal Screening and Testing.

Marfan Syndrome

I was wondering if you could answer a couple of questions for me about Marfan Syndrome.  My 13 year old daughter is going to be tested for this in Nov.  She has started to show symptoms of sore and stiff joints in her hands and feet.  She is complaining about her arms hurting too.  She has missed a few days of school complaining that is too hard to hold her pencil and it hurting.  She also suffers from migraines.  Is this connected with Marfan Syndrome or connected to something else.

Thank you
If your daughter is missing school and in pain, we recommend that she see a doctor regarding her symptoms.

Migraines and joint pain are non-specific symptoms that can be found in people with Marfan syndrome as well as many other individuals without Marfan syndrome. We recommend that you follow through with your daughter's appointment, but recommend that your daughter is evaluated by a medical geneticist, who is a doctor that specializes in genetic conditions, such as Marfan syndrome. We wish you the best.