Genetic Disorders Expert Forum
My Husband is HLA-B27 positive
About This Forum:

Questions in the Genetics Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. This forum is for questions and support regarding a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Ashkenazi Jewish Diseases, Bleeding Disorders, Blood Clotting Disorders, Cancer Genetics and Hereditary Cancer Syndromes, Chromosome Abnormalities, Congenital Birth Defects, Cystic Fibrosis, Family History, Fragile X Syndrome, Infertility, Newborn Screening, Rare Genetic Disorders, Prenatal Screening and Testing.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

My Husband is HLA-B27 positive

Can this gene cause males not to be able to have children?
Related Discussions
  • HLA-B27 (3 replies):
    My father suffered from Ankylosing Spondalitis. My sist...[more]
  • HLA - B27 Allele (2 replies):
    Hello Doc, i had joint pain(water on the knees, as do...[more]
886824_tn?1253740254
HLA-B27 refers to a specific variation of the HLA-B gene that is associated with susceptibility to ankylosing spondylitis, not male infertility. Ankylosing spondylitis is an autoimmune condition that causes chronic inflammatory arthritis primarily affecting the spine.

The disorder causes inflammation of the joints between spinal vertebrae, which is called spondylitis. Inflammation can also occur in other joints as well, including the shoulders, hips, and limb joints. Eye involvement is also common with iridocyclitis causing eye pain and sensitivity to light (called photophobia). Over time, complete fusion of spinal vertebrae can occur (known as bamboo spine), which limits movement. Fixation or fusion of a joint is called ankylosis. With ankylosing spondylitis, symptoms can worsen, improve or stop altogether. We hope this information is helpful.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank