Genetic Disorders Expert Forum
Phenylketonuria (PKU)
About This Forum:

Questions in the Genetics Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. This forum is for questions and support regarding a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Ashkenazi Jewish Diseases, Bleeding Disorders, Blood Clotting Disorders, Cancer Genetics and Hereditary Cancer Syndromes, Chromosome Abnormalities, Congenital Birth Defects, Cystic Fibrosis, Family History, Fragile X Syndrome, Infertility, Newborn Screening, Rare Genetic Disorders, Prenatal Screening and Testing.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Phenylketonuria (PKU)

Hypothetically, if I had a child who has Phenylketonuria (PKU) and I am pregnant with  another child now, the chance of my unborn child having PKU is possible, considering it is an autosomal recessive disorder. If I do not have medical insurance to pay all the medical bills and the special diet needed for people with PKU, how can I afford it? Are there alternative ways to pay for this? How can I go about this?
Related Discussions
264002_tn?1193282555
You are correct, PKU is an autosomal recessive condition.  If two people who are carriers for PKU have children together, there is a 25% chance to have a child affected with PKU and a 50% chance to have a child who is a carrier of PKU.  For a family with one affected child, if the same mother and father were to have more children, the chance to have another child affected with PKU would be 25%.  If the father of the current pregnancy is different, he can have testing to determine if he is a carrier for PKU.  If he is not, then your current pregnancy would have a 50% of being a carrier of PKU, but we would not expect this pregnancy to be at increased risk of inheriting PKU.  

As you know, PKU is a metabolic condition in which individuals have none or very small amount of phenylalanine hydroxylase activity.  People with PKU cannot tolerate eating the essential amnio acid called phenylalanine and need to follow a particular diet.  If the diet is not restricted from phenylalanine, most children with PKU develop severe mental retardation.  

There are advocacy groups to help families with PKU.  One of which is called the Children’s PKU network, and they offer to scholarships to families to help with costs of special food and formula.  They have a website with additional information that may help.  Best wishes to you.  
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
3 Reasons Why You are Still Binge E...
Jul 14 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating: What Your Closet ...
Jul 09 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank