Genetic Disorders Expert Forum
Questioning results of paternity test

Questions in the Genetics Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. This forum is for questions and support regarding a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Ashkenazi Jewish Diseases, Bleeding Disorders, Blood Clotting Disorders, Cancer Genetics and Hereditary Cancer Syndromes, Chromosome Abnormalities, Congenital Birth Defects, Cystic Fibrosis, Family History, Fragile X Syndrome, Infertility, Newborn Screening, Rare Genetic Disorders, Prenatal Screening and Testing.

Questioning results of paternity test

My brother was in iraq for 15 months with a 2 week leave to come home, while on the 2 week leave his wife became pregnant. At least she claims she did. The baby was born very early and had to be hospitalized (34 weeks weighing in at 6lbs 2 oz) He had some slight breathing issues and has since made a full recovery. I know they were intimate so its possible however, they bought the home paternity testing kit. She confessed to her best friend that when they sent the results in she removed my brothers swab and replaced it instead with hers. Obvious match right? They opted for the test that isnt admisable in court. They refered to it as "peace of mind" since its results cant legally be trusted. She denies she did or said that. If she did what would have happened? The test was through a company called Identigene and when I called to gather all of this info for my bbrother (being deployed again in 5 days) I did not really get an answer besides they match on a 15 point marker system. The mothers dna swab was not required and was not submitted as a 3rd party in the test, there was only the 2 swabs, the one of my nephews and the one that was supposed to be my brothers. The results are not back in they apparently are back logged so the 3-5 day turn around they state is not going to happen. How will these results read if indeed she did send in her own cheekswab instead of my brothers? Will anyone catch that?
In many labs, male or female gender is established as part of the testing process and if they have any concerns that will contact the tested parties or report inconclusive results. We recommend that if your brother has any questions regarding his testing that he contact the lab that performed the analysis.