Genetic Disorders Expert Forum
Recently tested positive as carrier for CF
About This Forum:

Questions in the Genetics Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. This forum is for questions and support regarding a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Ashkenazi Jewish Diseases, Bleeding Disorders, Blood Clotting Disorders, Cancer Genetics and Hereditary Cancer Syndromes, Chromosome Abnormalities, Congenital Birth Defects, Cystic Fibrosis, Family History, Fragile X Syndrome, Infertility, Newborn Screening, Rare Genetic Disorders, Prenatal Screening and Testing.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Recently tested positive as carrier for CF

I recently was informed by my obgyn that delievered our stillborn son on aug 30th 2009 that I am a positive carrier for Cystic Fibrosis.
Is there anyway to find out if our stillborn son died from this and if this was the case what can be done legally.
Related Discussions
886824_tn?1253740254
We are sorry for your loss and hope that you are getting the support you need. A stillborn pregnancy can be caused by many factors, both genetic and non-genetic.

Cystic fibrosis is an autosomal recessive condition, which means that typically two mutations are needed to be affected. Both parents of an affected individual are obligate carriers (they each have only one mutation). Two carriers have a 25% chance with each pregnancy to have an affected child, but typically do not have symptoms themselves. As such, the father of your previous pregnancy could also be tested for CF to see if he is also a carrier.

We recommend that you meet with a perinatologist, a physician who specializes in high risk pregnancies, given your stillbirth. We also recommend that you meet with a genetic counselor. A genetic counselor can review your personal and family history as well as discuss the benefits and limitations of CF genetic testing. You can find a genetic counselor at the National Society of Genetic Counselors website or through companies like mine, AccessDNA.

Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank