Genetic Disorders Expert Forum
Twin pregnancy

Questions in the Genetics Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. This forum is for questions and support regarding a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Ashkenazi Jewish Diseases, Bleeding Disorders, Blood Clotting Disorders, Cancer Genetics and Hereditary Cancer Syndromes, Chromosome Abnormalities, Congenital Birth Defects, Cystic Fibrosis, Family History, Fragile X Syndrome, Infertility, Newborn Screening, Rare Genetic Disorders, Prenatal Screening and Testing.

Twin pregnancy

I have carried twins twice now and miscarried them both.  First pregnancy I had one embryo and the other sac had nothing in it.  The embryo had a heart beat and passed on 10 days later.  I have had a single successful pregnancy and then just recently had another twin pregnancy, only this time they could proove the babies were identical as the sacs were still partially joined in one corner.  There were no embryo's in the sacs, hence I again had a miscarriage.  Why do I keep producing these twins, is it a genetic thing?  My gyno told me I have a high chance of twins again and questioned whether my 2nd successful pregnancy was that of a twin also, as I suffered alot of bleeding.  Who really knows now though.  Guess I am just wondering why my body continues to do these twins if you could help.

Much appreciated.

Sheree
Sheree,
Scientists have started to understand the “how” and “when” of twin development, but not always the “why.” Twinning can definitely be genetic and inherited, and some families are more likely to have twins in each generation. Some individuals appear more likely to have twins as well. The genetics or other influences involved in this are not completely understood. From the history you described it does seem that you have a higher chance of having a twin pregnancy in the future.

When an individual has two or three pregnancy losses, healthcare providers often start doing a review of the family history, special medical exams, and lab testing to see if there is a specific underlying cause that can be identified. You may want to discuss this with your healthcare provider to see what he/she recommends for you at this point.