Genetic Disorders Expert Forum
Unbalanced translocation Chromsomes 9 & 10
About This Forum:

Questions in the Genetics Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. This forum is for questions and support regarding a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Ashkenazi Jewish Diseases, Bleeding Disorders, Blood Clotting Disorders, Cancer Genetics and Hereditary Cancer Syndromes, Chromosome Abnormalities, Congenital Birth Defects, Cystic Fibrosis, Family History, Fragile X Syndrome, Infertility, Newborn Screening, Rare Genetic Disorders, Prenatal Screening and Testing.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Unbalanced translocation Chromsomes 9 & 10

I have twin boys who are now 7 years old. When I gave birth to my twins they identified that they may suffer from some kind of syndrome.  After several months and lots of tests it is indentified that they have a unbalanced translocation between chromosomes 9 and 10.  At the sametime it was identified that I (mom) have a balanced translocation between 9 and 10.  It has been a tough road and they suffer with everything from seizures to global developmental delays.  My question is: Has this every happened before?  in my research I haven't found anyone else who has a 9, 10 unbalance.  I decided to have my tubes tied so that it wouldn't happen again as they indicated that 55% chance that it would.  We really want to add to our family, Could you provide a little information about PGD testing???????  Thanks
Related Discussions
886824_tn?1253740254
Some translocations are more common than others. We recommend that you meet with a genetic counselor who would be able to assess the recurrence risk for a chromosome abnormality based on your specific translocation (for example - the breakpoints), personal history, family history and maternal age.

Regarding preimplantation genetic diagnosis (PGD; also called preimplantation testing), PGD is used to detect genetic changes in embryos that were created using assisted reproductive techniques such as in-vitro fertilization. In-vitro fertilization involves removing egg cells from a woman's ovaries and fertilizing them with sperm cells outside the body. To perform preimplantation testing, a small number of cells are taken from these embryos and tested for certain genetic changes.

PGD can reduce the risk of having a child with a particular genetic or chromosomal disorder but does not completely eliminate it. Diagnostic testing, such as a CVS or amniocentesis, is also often offered even when a couple undergoes PGD.

PGD is typically only available through an in person genetic consultation involving a medical geneticist and/or genetic counselor. You can find a medical geneticist at the American College of Medical Genetics website. You can find a genetic counselor at the National Society of Genetic Counselors or through companies like mine, AccessDNA. You can also find more information about chromosome translocations and PGD at AccessDNA.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...
Apr 16 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank