Genetic Disorders Expert Forum
balanced translocation
About This Forum:

Questions in the Genetics Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. This forum is for questions and support regarding a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Ashkenazi Jewish Diseases, Bleeding Disorders, Blood Clotting Disorders, Cancer Genetics and Hereditary Cancer Syndromes, Chromosome Abnormalities, Congenital Birth Defects, Cystic Fibrosis, Family History, Fragile X Syndrome, Infertility, Newborn Screening, Rare Genetic Disorders, Prenatal Screening and Testing.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
balanced translocation
I was told that I have a balanced translocation of my bottom chromosome 1 and 17.  Can you tell me more about this?  What caused this and what does it mean for my future?
Discussion is closed
Cancel
2 Answers
Page 1 of 1
886824 tn?1253740254
A chromosome translocation is a chromosome abnormality caused by the rearrangement of genetic material between different numbered (also called non-homologous) chromosomes.

Chromosome translocations can be characterized as balanced or unbalanced.

A balanced translocation involves an apparently even exchange of genetic material resulting in no loss or gain of total genetic information. A balanced translocation does not typically result in physical and/or mental abnormalities.

An unbalanced translocation involves an uneven exchange of genetic material resulting in a gain or loss of total genetic information. An unbalanced translocation is more likely to result in physical and/or mental abnormalities.

Although people with balanced chromosome translocations do not usually have mental and/or physical abnormalities, they may be at increased risk to have pregnancy losses, stillbirths, and children with chromosome abnormalities. For example, people who carry a balanced Robertsonian translocation involving chromosome 21 have a higher chance to have a child with Down syndrome.

The risks, however, are dependent upon the specific chromosomes involved and their breakpoints. We recommend that you meet with a genetic counselor, who can review your results, as well as your personal and family history for a more accurate risk assessment. You can find a genetic counselor at the National Society of Genetic Counselors website or through companies like mine, AccessDNA. You can find more information about chromsome translocations also at AccessDNA.
Discussion is closed
Cancel
Comment
1289166 tn?1285259567
A related discussion, When to test for chromosom translocation was started.
Discussion is closed
Cancel
Comment
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now