Genetic Disorders Expert Forum
consanguinity
About This Forum:

Questions in the Genetics Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. This forum is for questions and support regarding a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Ashkenazi Jewish Diseases, Bleeding Disorders, Blood Clotting Disorders, Cancer Genetics and Hereditary Cancer Syndromes, Chromosome Abnormalities, Congenital Birth Defects, Cystic Fibrosis, Family History, Fragile X Syndrome, Infertility, Newborn Screening, Rare Genetic Disorders, Prenatal Screening and Testing.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

consanguinity

Sir,
I am Prasad, residing in ANDHRA PRADESH (India). I have certain doubts regarding consanguineous marriages. I request that necessary advice may kindly be given.
Our family history is as follows.
Manik and Narasamma are wife and husband and both are non diabetics.
They have two sons.
First son is Subba Rao and his wife is Sakuntala.. Both were diagnosed as diabetics at the age of their 5os.
SUBBA RAO AND SAKUNTALA ARE (A-COUPLE)
Second son is Sambasiva and his wife is Suramma. Both were diagnosed  as diabetics at the age of their 5os.
SAMBASIVA AND SURAMMA ARE (B-COUPLE).
A-COUPLE have two daughters.
Their first daughter is Akkamma and her husband is Satyam, (C-COUPLE), both were diagnosed as diabetics at their 50s.
AKKAMMA AND SATYAM ARE ( C-COUPLE).
A-Couple’s second daughter is Lakshmi and she was diagnosed as diabetic at the age of 30. Lakshmi’s husband is Prasad (myself), a non diabetic. (D-COUPLE).
LAKSHMI AND PRASAD ARE (D-COUPLE).
Our (D-COUPLE’S) first son is VENKAT (26YEARS) (NON DIABETIC) is the bride groom. (PROPOSED).
B-COUPLE’s first son is Raghu (diabetic after the age 30) married Padma (Non diabetic) who is the first daughter of C-COUPLE.
RAGHU AND PADMA ARE (E-COUPLE).
E-COUPLE’S FIRST DAUGHTER IS ANUMU (22YEARS AND NON DIABETIC) IS THE BRIDE (PROPOSED).
NOW Anu and Venkat want to get married. (PROPOSED COUPLE)
My questions are,
Can the proposed couple be called first or second cousins?
Can this proposed marriage be called as CONSANGUINEOUS MARRIAGE?
Is this proposed marriage is advisable or not?
What will be the adverse effects of the next generation (children of proposed couple).
Are there any PRE MARRIAGE GENETIC TESTS available with you or anybody (in India Or abroad) to evaluate the medical consequences of this proposed marriage?
I heard that consanguineous marriages will result in many congenital abnormalities in the next generation. Is it true?
Please respond.
Thanking You Sir,
Yours truly,
PRASAD