Genetic Disorders Expert Forum
consanguinity

Questions in the Genetics Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. This forum is for questions and support regarding a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Ashkenazi Jewish Diseases, Bleeding Disorders, Blood Clotting Disorders, Cancer Genetics and Hereditary Cancer Syndromes, Chromosome Abnormalities, Congenital Birth Defects, Cystic Fibrosis, Family History, Fragile X Syndrome, Infertility, Newborn Screening, Rare Genetic Disorders, Prenatal Screening and Testing.

consanguinity

Sir,
I am Prasad, residing in ANDHRA PRADESH (India). I have certain doubts regarding consanguineous marriages. I request that necessary advice may kindly be given.
Our family history is as follows.
Manik and Narasamma are wife and husband and both are non diabetics.
They have two sons.
First son is Subba Rao and his wife is Sakuntala.. Both were diagnosed as diabetics at the age of their 5os.
SUBBA RAO AND SAKUNTALA ARE (A-COUPLE)
Second son is Sambasiva and his wife is Suramma. Both were diagnosed  as diabetics at the age of their 5os.
SAMBASIVA AND SURAMMA ARE (B-COUPLE).
A-COUPLE have two daughters.
Their first daughter is Akkamma and her husband is Satyam, (C-COUPLE), both were diagnosed as diabetics at their 50s.
AKKAMMA AND SATYAM ARE ( C-COUPLE).
A-Couple’s second daughter is Lakshmi and she was diagnosed as diabetic at the age of 30. Lakshmi’s husband is Prasad (myself), a non diabetic. (D-COUPLE).
LAKSHMI AND PRASAD ARE (D-COUPLE).
Our (D-COUPLE’S) first son is VENKAT (26YEARS) (NON DIABETIC) is the bride groom. (PROPOSED).
B-COUPLE’s first son is Raghu (diabetic after the age 30) married Padma (Non diabetic) who is the first daughter of C-COUPLE.
RAGHU AND PADMA ARE (E-COUPLE).
E-COUPLE’S FIRST DAUGHTER IS ANUMU (22YEARS AND NON DIABETIC) IS THE BRIDE (PROPOSED).
NOW Anu and Venkat want to get married. (PROPOSED COUPLE)
My questions are,
Can the proposed couple be called first or second cousins?
Can this proposed marriage be called as CONSANGUINEOUS MARRIAGE?
Is this proposed marriage is advisable or not?
What will be the adverse effects of the next generation (children of proposed couple).
Are there any PRE MARRIAGE GENETIC TESTS available with you or anybody (in India Or abroad) to evaluate the medical consequences of this proposed marriage?
I heard that consanguineous marriages will result in many congenital abnormalities in the next generation. Is it true?
Please respond.
Thanking You Sir,
Yours truly,
PRASAD

Thank you for communicating so clearly your family pedigree. Consanguinity refers to when both members of a couple are related to each other by at least one common ancestor.  If I understood your family pedigree correctly, although the bride and groom would be first cousins once removed, they share more genetic material than typical first cousins once removed as the bride is the result of a consanguineous union as well.

We all have two copies of almost every gene - one from each parent. In autosomal recessive (AR) conditions, it is typically necessary to have two mutations, one in each gene copy, to be affected. People with only a mutation in a single gene are called carriers, and typically do not have any symptoms of the condition.

It is believed that we all are carriers of at least 8-10 different autosomal recessive conditions. The chance that both members of a couple are both carriers of the same AR condition is increased if they are related to one another, as they each could have inherited a mutation from the same common ancestor.

To give some background information, the general population risk for two non-related people to have a child with a birth defect is estimated at 3-4%. In the absence of a known autosomal recessive condition in a family, the risk for first cousins to have a child with a birth defect is believed to be doubled, 6-8%.

We recommend that the couple meet with a genetic counselor in India, who can more accurately assess risk based on ethnicity, family history and personal history. A genetic counselor can discuss the benefits and limitations of all available genetic testing options.