Genetic Disorders Expert Forum
do i need to see a specialist or am i over concerned

Questions in the Genetics Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. This forum is for questions and support regarding a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Ashkenazi Jewish Diseases, Bleeding Disorders, Blood Clotting Disorders, Cancer Genetics and Hereditary Cancer Syndromes, Chromosome Abnormalities, Congenital Birth Defects, Cystic Fibrosis, Family History, Fragile X Syndrome, Infertility, Newborn Screening, Rare Genetic Disorders, Prenatal Screening and Testing.

I tried for 3 yrs to get pregnant during that time I had 1 miscariage then a yr and half later was pregnant again this time with twins. I lost one then the other was born with a complex heart defectand I suffered with preeclampsia. A yr after my son was born I had another misscarriage. My doctor does not seem interested in listening to my concerns he actually cuts me short. I am worried that something maybe wrong and if I should see a specialist

It sounds like you have been through a lot, and you would benefit from consulting a maternal fetal medicine specialist.  Guidelines vary slightly, but typically when a couple has had two or three miscarriages, testing is done to see if a reason can be found. A maternal fetal medicine specialist is a high risk obstetrician. The Society for Maternal Fetal Medicine website has a physician finder that can help you locate someone in your area.  Also, it may help to see a genetic counselor to discuss the types of genetic tests that might be recommended in your miscarriage workup, and to review your family history to see if anyone else in the family has any miscarriages, issues with fertility, birth defects, or congenital heart problems.  To locate a genetic counselor near you, please use the website for the National Society of Genetic Counselors (NSGC).