Genetic Disorders Expert Forum
having kids with my second cousin?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Genetics Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. This forum is for questions and support regarding a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Ashkenazi Jewish Diseases, Bleeding Disorders, Blood Clotting Disorders, Cancer Genetics and Hereditary Cancer Syndromes, Chromosome Abnormalities, Congenital Birth Defects, Cystic Fibrosis, Family History, Fragile X Syndrome, Infertility, Newborn Screening, Rare Genetic Disorders, Prenatal Screening and Testing.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

having kids with my second cousin?

i was just wondering if i have kids with my second cousin, what are the chances of there being complications and will the unborn child be normal?? please reply
Related Discussions
  • consanguinity (1 replies):
    In the absence of a family history for genetic disease, ...[more]
  • consanguinity (1 replies):
    Sir, I am Prasad, residing in ANDHRA PRADESH (India). I...[more]
  • 2nd cousin (1 replies):
    Hi There, Can i marry my own 2nd cousin. This the his...[more]
  • relation marriage (3 replies):
    Hello DR, Please advise me. My girl friend is daughter o...[more]
  • UH-OH?? (4 replies):
    I may be pregnant by my first cousin. Like my mothers br...[more]
886824_tn?1253740254
Consanguinity refers to when both members of a couple are related to each other by at least one common ancestor.

We all have two copies of almost every gene - one from each parent. In autosomal recessive (AR) conditions, it is typically necessary to have two mutations, one in each gene copy, to be affected. People with only a mutation in a single gene are called carriers, and typically do not have any symptoms of the condition.

It is believed that we all are carriers of at least 8-10 different autosomal recessive conditions. The chance that both members of a couple are both carriers of the same AR condition is increased if they are related to one another, as they each could have inherited a mutation from the same common ancestor.

To give some background information, the general population risk for two non-related people to have a child with a birth defect is estimated at 3-4%. In the absence of a known autosomal recessive condition in a family, the risk for first cousins to have a child with a birth defect is believed to be doubled, 6-8%.

We recommend that you and your partner meet with a genetic counselor, who can review your ethnic backgrounds, as well as your personal and family health histories to provide risk assessment specific to your situation. A genetic counselor can also discuss the benefits and limitations of any available genetic testing options. You can find a genetic counselor through the National Society of Genetic Counseling website or through companies like mine, AccessDNA.  You can also find more information about consanguinity at AccessDNA.
1 Comment
Blank
I have a question. I have found out that my boyfriend is my mothers first cousins son. What does that make us & if we continue our relationship what kinds of risks are there in us having children?
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
Marathon Running Done Over Many Yea...
May 21 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
233488_tn?1310696703