Genetic Disorders Expert Forum
intrauterine pregnancy

Questions in the Genetics Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. This forum is for questions and support regarding a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Ashkenazi Jewish Diseases, Bleeding Disorders, Blood Clotting Disorders, Cancer Genetics and Hereditary Cancer Syndromes, Chromosome Abnormalities, Congenital Birth Defects, Cystic Fibrosis, Family History, Fragile X Syndrome, Infertility, Newborn Screening, Rare Genetic Disorders, Prenatal Screening and Testing.

intrauterine pregnancy

worried sister,

I need some help or second opinion to all doctors concern to this problems...! Please

My younger sister have a problem when she had a twice ultrasound and the result is having  a intrauterine pregnancy and congenital hydrocephalus. The result of the congenital survey are the following : face,neck,heart,lungs,diaphragm,stomach,kidneys,urinary bladder,extremities and external genitalia are both normal but the problems is the HEAD having a dilated ventricles...

Fetal and obstetric sonography with anatomical survey:
(within the gravid uterus is a single,live fetus in cephalic presentation with the following measurements:
1. BPD  = 7.6 cm (30.5 weeks)
2. FL     = 6.5 cm (33.3 weeks)
3. AC    = 25.3 cm (29.4 weeks)
Real time  scan shows good somatic and cardiac activity. FHR = 135 beats/minute. Placenta is implanted anteriorly, grade III, high-lying. There is adequate amount of amniotic fluid.
IMPRESSION : Single,live.intrauterine pregnancy in cephalic presentation of about 31.3 weeksaverage gestation by BPD, FL, AC......EDD: january 22,2008....COngenital hydrocephalus

hi doctor,

Thats the result of my sister`s ultrasound..I need some opinion regarding her case. We`re questioning and thinking that how many percent the baby will alive or how many percent the baby will not survive...? In that case will need operation or caesarian,it  should be during her labor or before her EDD..

Anyways,i need your help(opinion or ideas) in her case...My younger sister is only 20 yrs. old..Please help us and big thanks to all
  • preganacy (2 replies):
    Hello im 32 and just found out im 7 weeks pregnant and h...[more]
It can be extremely stressful for the whole family when something unexpected comes up during a pregnancy. From the information that you posted about your sister’s ultrasound, the impression states that hydrocephalus was found. Intrauterine means that the pregnancy is in the uterus, which is normal.

As you have read, hydrocephalus is a build-up of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) in the ventricles of the brain. This may lead to pressure inside of the skull and enlargement of head. There have been some studies which have looked at surgeries to treat hydrocephalus before babies were born, and unfortunately these results have been disappointing. There are several possible causes of hydrocephalus including primary hydrocephalus such as x-linked hydrocephalus and aqueductal stenosis. Hydrocephalus can occur alone or with other problems such as spina bifida or with a Dandy-Walker cyst. There can also be secondary hydrocephalus which happens as a result of another problem in the brain such as a tumor, vascular disease, or infection. According to one study, predicting outcomes in a pregnancy with hydrocephalus is very difficult. The authors of this study found that the prognosis may depend on if the hydrocephalus progresses, and how much damage there has been to the brain and to the process of how brain cells mature.

If she has not already, your sister may benefit from a consultation with a maternal fetal medicine (MFM) specialist to discuss the ultrasound findings. I wish you and your family the best. Your OB may have a recommendation for an MFM or you can find one through the Society for Maternal Fetal Medicine’s website.
1 Comment
A related discussion, Intrauterine Pregnancy was started.