Genetic Disorders Expert Forum
lower right side abdominal pain while pregnant

Questions in the Genetics Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. This forum is for questions and support regarding a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Ashkenazi Jewish Diseases, Bleeding Disorders, Blood Clotting Disorders, Cancer Genetics and Hereditary Cancer Syndromes, Chromosome Abnormalities, Congenital Birth Defects, Cystic Fibrosis, Family History, Fragile X Syndrome, Infertility, Newborn Screening, Rare Genetic Disorders, Prenatal Screening and Testing.

I am now 21 weeks into my pregnancy and have had lower pain in my right side for a few months.  Its usually  when I move is when i feel it.  Like when I lean over or am sitting down and go to stand up and sometimes its so painful i feel it when i walk in right leg. it doesnt feel like regular cramps or anything.   some people have said that it could just be my ligaments but Why would it be just in that one spot.  And when it comes to having sex, I am always afraid to because sometimes it hurts if my husband goes in to deep. some people have told me that that could be just my cervix being brused from a previous time. my doctor has told me that i have a small birth canal and cervix. but its really hard for me to ask my doctor about these things because hes always in a hurry to leave and i never get the time to ask him.  This week i find out what the baby is, so he has to stay in the office longer so i will ask him then but if you have any idea of what it could be could you let me know so that I can mention it to him.  

also 2nd thing is I have 4 imediate family members who are diabetic. I havent been tested for it yet but i was wondering if i should have been.  

3rd thing- It says in some books ive been reading that you should have frequent urination at the beginning of pregnancy and at the  end. well im in the middle and I have to go about every hour or so and if i dont go in at least 2 to 3 hours my bladder begins to hurt severely. the other night i woke up to go and i couldnt stand up, I had to lean over and walk to the bathroom because it was hurting so bad and I usually have to go at least twice a night. I tried backing off of drinking alot of beverages but im so thirsty all the time. is there something i could do different or is this normal????
Congratulations on your pregnancy.  It is very important that you have the chance to ask the doctor your questions about the symptoms that you have described.  

It sounds like you have a significant family history of diabetes.  Type 2 diabetes is a complex condition caused by genetic and environmental factors.  Like all common diseases, there are many risk factors for diabetes. Rarely is one factor alone responsible for causing the disease. Your total risk is made up several different risk factors which include family history, genetic risks, weight, physical activity, history of gestational diabetes, and diet.

All women are screened for gestational diabetes later in pregnancy, and you may want to mention your family history of the condition to your doctor.   Best wishes to you.
1 Comment