Genetic Disorders Expert Forum
mthfr gene
About This Forum:

Questions in the Genetics Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. This forum is for questions and support regarding a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Ashkenazi Jewish Diseases, Bleeding Disorders, Blood Clotting Disorders, Cancer Genetics and Hereditary Cancer Syndromes, Chromosome Abnormalities, Congenital Birth Defects, Cystic Fibrosis, Family History, Fragile X Syndrome, Infertility, Newborn Screening, Rare Genetic Disorders, Prenatal Screening and Testing.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

mthfr gene

I have quite a few cousins and nephews who are mentally retarded.  Three of my mothers sisters have had mentally retarded children and some of their daughters have had mentally retarded children.  I also have a sister with a mentally retarted child.  All the retarded children are male.  We also have a family history of colon disease, stroke, scoliosis.  Three of my cousins tested positive for this gene.  Should the rest of our family be tested.  Is this a rare occurance???  

Thanks
Related Discussions
886824_tn?1253740254
We recommend that you meet with a genetic counselor regarding your family history of mental retardation and other conditions. There are genetic causes of mental retardation. The most common inherited cause of mental retardation called Fragile X syndrome occurs more frequently in males. A genetic counselor can take a detailed personal and family history in order to provide specific risk assessment for mental retardation, colon disease, stroke, scoliosis and MTHFR in the family. Specific MTHFR variations are relatively common in Caucasians of European ancestry. A family history of multiple generations of males with mental retardation is not common. A genetic counselor can discuss the benefits and limitations of your genetic testing options as well.

1 Comment
Blank
A related discussion, MTHFR re: Chiari and Aspergers was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank