Genetic Disorders Expert Forum
neurofibroma where the gene dosen't show it self
About This Forum:

Questions in the Genetics Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. This forum is for questions and support regarding a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Ashkenazi Jewish Diseases, Bleeding Disorders, Blood Clotting Disorders, Cancer Genetics and Hereditary Cancer Syndromes, Chromosome Abnormalities, Congenital Birth Defects, Cystic Fibrosis, Family History, Fragile X Syndrome, Infertility, Newborn Screening, Rare Genetic Disorders, Prenatal Screening and Testing.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

neurofibroma where the gene dosen't show it self

i was tested for my son on NF useing the gene test. i was told by the doc that i was in a 5% group where the neurofibroma  gene is not showing it self and this was the second time i had it done the first time it showed i had type 1. i was just wondering if anyone knew howthat can be because the doctor here is confused as much as i am on how it happend. i was told it was rare for something like this outta of 100 people only 5% have what i have. can anyone help me out???
Related Discussions
886824_tn?1253740254
Neurofibromatosis type 1 (also known as NF type 1 or von Recklinghausen disease) is a genetic condition characterized by changes in skin coloring (pigmentation) and the growth of tumors along nerves in the skin, brain, and other parts of the body. The signs and symptoms vary greatly even among affected members of the same family.

About 1 in 3,000 to 1 in 4,000 people worldwide are affected with NF type 1. It is one of the most common inherited disorders.

NF type 1 is caused by mutations in a gene called NF1, which is located at 17q11.2. We all have two copies of the NF1 gene - one from each parent. In NF type 1, having a mutation in a single gene copy is sufficient to cause the disease. This is called autosomal dominant inheritance. A person with a mutation has a 50% chance with each pregnancy to have an affected child and a 50% chance to have a child that doesn't inherit the mutation and therefore, does not have NF.

We recommend that you meet with a medical geneticist who can review your personal history, your son's history, your family history and all test results. A medical geneticist is a doctor who specializes in genetic conditions such as NF. You can find a medical geneticist at the American College of Medical Genetics website. We wish you the best.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank