Genetic Disorders Expert Forum
odd growth

Questions in the Genetics Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. This forum is for questions and support regarding a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Ashkenazi Jewish Diseases, Bleeding Disorders, Blood Clotting Disorders, Cancer Genetics and Hereditary Cancer Syndromes, Chromosome Abnormalities, Congenital Birth Defects, Cystic Fibrosis, Family History, Fragile X Syndrome, Infertility, Newborn Screening, Rare Genetic Disorders, Prenatal Screening and Testing.

odd growth

hi, I'm 18 years old and over the past 2 years ive taken a notice that many things on the right side of my body have grown larger than the left. its not so much as a question in perticular other than is this something that happens or is it a rare accurence. things like from the middle of my two front  teeth and back to the right side are all slightly larger than the left  side.my septem has also grown larger on the right than the left leaving a slight curve, not to be vulgar but this as also accured with my genitals leaving a signifigit bend to the left. and my stomach(well my navel region) is slightly larger than the left making my stomach look somewhat weird when i was heavier. also my right foot and right hand are larger that the left side counterpart. it seems weird to me that this has accured i was just looking for some anwsers
Hemihyperplasia (also known as hemihypertrophy) refers to the overdevelopment or excessive growth of one side of the body or part of the body. Hemihypertrophy may not only involve external body parts, but can involve internal organs as well. Hemihypertrophy is also associated with certain childhood tumors. Most cases of hemihyperplasia appear to be isolated and not inherited. Some cases are associated with a genetic syndrome.

A diagnosis of hemihyperplasia is made by clinical examination of body asymmetry by a physician. We recommend that you speak with your physician regarding your symptoms and concerns. You may also benefit from meeting with a medical geneticist, a doctor who specializes in genetic conditions. A medical geneticist can be found at the American College of Medical Genetics website.

We wish you the best.