Genetic Disorders Expert Forum
positive for two copies of A1298C

Questions in the Genetics Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. This forum is for questions and support regarding a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Ashkenazi Jewish Diseases, Bleeding Disorders, Blood Clotting Disorders, Cancer Genetics and Hereditary Cancer Syndromes, Chromosome Abnormalities, Congenital Birth Defects, Cystic Fibrosis, Family History, Fragile X Syndrome, Infertility, Newborn Screening, Rare Genetic Disorders, Prenatal Screening and Testing.

positive for two copies of A1298C

Hi, my name is Grisel. I am a healthy 42 years old woman, with no children. I lost two pregnancies one last year, the other three month ago both at 6 weeks. My doctor can no find any reason. He told me maybe is my age, no enough quality in my eggs. But a blood test said I am positive for two copies of A1298C mutation. He did not say any thing about this issue. Could be this the cause for my lost? Thanks for your attention.
My regards
The A1298C gene variant is found in the MTHFR gene. This gene is important in the metabolism of homocysteine, an important amino acid.

Having two variants/mutations in the MTHFR gene, such as A1298C, can cause elevated homocysteine levels. Elevated homocysteine levels have been implicated in many health issues including pregnancy loss and other pregnancy-related complications. However, these risks may not be increased in the presence of normal homocysteine levels. A blood test can be performed that measures plasma homocysteine levels.

To date, research has been mixed on how strong the association between A1298C and pregnancy loss is, causing debate on what to do clinically about it. We recommend that you meet with a perinatologist for consultation and evaluation. We wish you the best.
1 Comment
A related discussion, mthfr was started.