Genetic Disorders Expert Forum
signs to look for on baby with Edwards syndrome
About This Forum:

Questions in the Genetics Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. This forum is for questions and support regarding a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Ashkenazi Jewish Diseases, Bleeding Disorders, Blood Clotting Disorders, Cancer Genetics and Hereditary Cancer Syndromes, Chromosome Abnormalities, Congenital Birth Defects, Cystic Fibrosis, Family History, Fragile X Syndrome, Infertility, Newborn Screening, Rare Genetic Disorders, Prenatal Screening and Testing.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

signs to look for on baby with Edwards syndrome

Hello! I'm 31 and currently 17+1 weeks pregnant. I got pregnant thanks to IVF. The triple-screen done at 16th week of pregnancy showed lower levels of hcg, but due to IVF incorrect dating of the preganancy can be excluded. The test placed me a low risk for trisomies 13, 21 and 18 and neural tube defects. However, I got recommendation for detailed ultrasound screening to search for the signs of Edwards syndrome. I'm confused about placing me low risk for trisomy 18 and at the same time sent to screen further for Edwards syndrome. If I understand correctly, there can be mosaic with that trisomy. Can this syndrome be detected by amniocenthesis at least if ultrasound doesn't help? I have to add that I had combined 1st trimester screening (blood work and ultrasound, which is said to be 90% precise method) and it showed no problems at all. Further, I would like to ask what can betray the Edwards syndrome in the baby at this stage of pregnancy? The amniotic fluid seems to be at normal level, the uterus seems to be normal size, and the baby still looks a few days ahead of his/her gestational age (had a breef ultrasound couple of days ago due to sudden lack of activity, but baby looked fine, I guess only felt I was stressed out). Does it really look like Edwards syndrome? I've read that babies with Edwards syndrome are small, fail to thrive. But can that baby at this point of pregnancy be bigger for gestation age and at the same time have indeed Edwards syndrome? Thanks already in advance.