Genetic Disorders Expert Forum
whats hla

Questions in the Genetics Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts. This forum is for questions and support regarding a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Ashkenazi Jewish Diseases, Bleeding Disorders, Blood Clotting Disorders, Cancer Genetics and Hereditary Cancer Syndromes, Chromosome Abnormalities, Congenital Birth Defects, Cystic Fibrosis, Family History, Fragile X Syndrome, Infertility, Newborn Screening, Rare Genetic Disorders, Prenatal Screening and Testing.

whats hla

i was hla type and here my markers a2 a29 b51 b60, when i ask my dr she said dont worry
I hope the following background information is helpful to you.  HLA stands for Human Leukocyte Antigen. HLA antigens are detected on the surface of white cells from a blood specimen, but they reside on the surface of all body cells. These antigens determine how the body reacts to foreign tissue.  HLA-A, HLA-B, and HLA-C are the class I molecules.  This group of genes encodes the antigens on the cells’ surface.   There are many different alleles (forms of a gene) at each of the HLA locus and there is a high degree of genetic variability among these genes.  

You did not say why you had the test done.  Some people are tested to determine if they have an increased risk to develop a particular condition.  For example, HLA-B27 has been associated with an increased risk to develop ankylosing spondylitis, a form of chronic inflammation of the spine and of particular joints in the spine.   One study found that HLA B60 is also associated with an increase risk to develop ankylosing spondylitis.  It is important to keep in mind, not everyone who has this marker develops ankylosing spondylitis.  Some people have HLA typing before an organ transplant.  A transplant may be more likely to be successful with greater numbers of identical HLA antigens.  
If somone is HIV NEG does hla have anything doing with HIV ? I'm hiv neg