BRAIN MRI WITHOUT IV CONTRAST WITH ABNORMAL SIGNAL IMPRESSION
Thanks for your forum. I have an 8 years old daughter which was diagnosed with ADD. A recent MRI findings were the following: Left periventricular white matter ill-defined T2 hypointense area at the level of the centrum semiovale and corona radiate measuring 1.2 cm in greatest dimension is nonspecific, but would be compatible with given history of leukodystrophy. There is a similar area in the right posterior periventricular white matter at the level of the centrum semiovale measuring 2.2 cm in greatest dimension. Fairly symmetrical T2 hyperintense signal around the frontal horns and occipital horns is also noted, which favors given history of leukodystriphy. The subcortical white matter is spared. No gray matter heterotopia or other congenital anomalies. No acute infarct, hemnorrhage, space occupying lesion, midline shift, or hydrocephalus. CSF spaces are within normal limits."  She looks fine to my, but teachers say her lapse of attention, even with a light dose of focalin, and that when she returns she forgets things.  Are we in deep waters? Will she survive, or will she starts a recessive disease?  Thanks!
The MRI is indicative of Leukodystrophy which is characterized by degeneration of the white matter in the brain. It is very difficult to recognise the symptoms in early disease but there is often a slowdown in mental and physical development. You should consult a nuerologist for your son for the proper action.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.