Genetics Community
Beta Thalassemia Minor

This patient support community is for discussions relating to a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Alzheimer’s, blood-clotting disorders, breast cancer, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, Marfan syndrome, and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.

Beta Thalassemia Minor

How can one convience their doctor that the aches, pains, chronic fatigue, mental fog, etc. are indeed related to the BTM?  My primary care physican and Neurologist have both diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia; I go to see a Rheumatologist tomorrow.  How in the world do we lead normal lives, reduce the fatigue, brain fog, etc.??  Based on what I am reading, a Hematologist isn't necessarily knowledgeable about the condition and how to treat it.

Thanks! MamaK0811

This discussion is related to THALASSEMIA MINOR.
How can one convience their doctor that the aches, pains, chronic fatigue, mental fog, etc. are indeed related to the BTM?  
----------------
I'm sorry that you are suffering with Fibromyalgia and your current symptoms, but why would you want to convince your doctors of that? I do not understand why you are think beta-thal minor is related to our current condition.

If what you are experiencing is reducing your quality of life, it is important for you to seek diagnosis, treatment and relief, but having a doctor diagnose the cause is essential because beta-thal minor does not cause symptoms and cannot be treated, it is a genetic trait.
Eureka, you said beta thal minor does not cause symptoms.  You are wrong.  I have thal minor, symptoms started as a child, I am not a hypochondriac, nor am I alone.  Search for thal minor on the web to confirm.  Many inexplicable things may be related.  The symptoms usually include fatigue, sallow skin, dehydration...I had a brother with major and some of my issues seemed eerily close to his (on a much milder level however).  It is a genetric trait and there is no real cure but you can improve things by taking supplements, diet, etc.
I just want to clear this up.
I totally agree with you. It seems clear to me, the big problem is that them are still teaching doctors that there are no symptoms. I don't understand how this is because of all the symptoms reported by so many BTM's. I personally think it crazy to think that.
I was diagnosed in 2003 and have had all the symptoms. My mother and all my sisters also have BTM. I excercise 5 to 6 days a week, eat healthy, and take suppliments. I'm sure this really helps because my symptoms haven't been quite as bad as what I have read others to be. I still have to fight the extreme fatigue daily and at times it wins to the point of barely being able to move. Body aches, short winded, and brain fog. The worst of all my symptoms, in the last year, has been the brain fog. It is absolutely horrible. It seems to be getting worse. I can't find a doctor that takes this seriously. There has to be something to help with this. If anyone knows any helpful tips or information they can share I would appreciate it.