Genetics Community
Blood Pressure and HLA-B27

This patient support community is for discussions relating to a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Alzheimer’s, blood-clotting disorders, breast cancer, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, Marfan syndrome, and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.

Blood Pressure and HLA-B27

My son started having "spells" Jan. 2012 where he would start throwing up, very pale and blotchy, dark circle under his eyes. We would take him to the doctor and they would tell us to take him home and in a full days he would get better. He would but then a few months later it would happen again, he would literally look like he was dying. Finally he was hospitalize at vanderbilt childrens hospital for it cause his BP was extremely to high(181/96). He was finally diagnosed with Hypertension but without a reason.His doctor told me that a reason for high blood pressure could be that he was in pain from something that we couldn't see. They did ever test on him and everything came back normal, he is currently take Amlodipine twice a day, and his bp runs around 120/75 everyday. So it got me thinking...I have the gene HLA-B27 which can be a sign of Ankylosing Spondylitis and was told that more then likely my son would suffer from this as well.

So my question is: Is there a link between Ankylosing Spondylitis and High Blood Pressure? Should I have my son tested for AS? Could AS be the "Pain" that my son is having that we can't see?
Hi there!

It is difficult to comment on the situation without knowing the relevant clinical details such as your son’s age. Even a blood pressure of 120/75 mmHg may be high in a younger age group. There is no evidence of association of HLA B27 with high blood pressure and in the absence of specific symptoms testing for AS would not be suggested. It would be best to discuss the situation, the possible causes, the suggested management plan and the expected prognosis in detail with the treating doctor.
Hope the information is helpful.

Take care!