Genetics Community
"Born with a hole near your vagina"

This patient support community is for discussions relating to a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Alzheimer’s, blood-clotting disorders, breast cancer, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, Marfan syndrome, and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.

"Born with a hole near your vagina"

Dear Dr,
My mother now claims I was born with a hole near my vagina. Firstly she claimed I had nappy rash and the scar on my upper thigh was a nappy rash scar- responses to childhood questioning. Adult questioning has resulted in this story of me being born with a hole near my vagina. She fobbed it off as if it was nothing. Further to this she claims I was sent home with betadine to wash my nappies in. The scar on my thigh is as a result of this hole, having moved as I grew.......

I have had a Doctor look at it and confirm it is NOT a nappy rash scar. It presents as "keloid like" triangular approx 1inch in size in top inner thigh 2 inches down from leg/abdomen join.

II have contacted the hospital of my birth, and having had the runaround for many years- denied access to birth records because I was not the patient- my mother was- just recently found th right terminology to make the hospital listen to me and allow me access to my records to find information I was seeking. Unfortunately my birth year was 1963, and they only held records from 1966 to current date.

I wish to know what kind of test or proceedure was carried out on a newborn in those days. Could I have a scar like this from a skin biopsy? - a skin punch test ...? Could there have been some kind of urogenital surgery- maybe for enlarged clitoris or fused labia, and this information just not shared with me? I feel there is a scar in my labia minora- like they are 'sewn on", and no- not a fold.

I have had genetic testing, and a XX result was gleaned, subsequent to being informed I had Trisomy9 evident in two cells, then having that sidelined as a "red-herring" result.

Could I in fact have a mosaic condition which has resulted in an irregularity in my genitals? RubyTwentyTen