Genetics Community
Born without a right hand

This patient support community is for discussions relating to a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Alzheimer’s, blood-clotting disorders, breast cancer, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, Marfan syndrome, and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.

Born without a right hand

My 4 month old granddaughter was born without a right hand, diagnoised at 20 week sonagram,  Perinatalogist indicated a probable vascular issue rather than ABS.  Her right forearm is shorter and she has a non-functioning wrist with about 1/4 of her right hand (kind of like a little paddle) with tiny,tiny nubs. She has a part of the thumb and pinkie finger bone. Her doctor has said that the right forearm is not growing at the same rate as her other limbs, but that she would let my son know when Children's Mercy (our local children's hospital) wanted to see her.  Should the kids be more proactive in seeking evaluation at this stage of the game to see what lies ahead?  What are the possibilities for a prosthesis with her wrist unable to straighten out?  She is a real doll baby and seems to be healthy in every other way,but it just seems so unfair to an old grandma!  What is the possibility of this happening again with another pregnancy?
Thanks in advance for any advice.