Genetics Community
Could it be a genetic disorder?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Alzheimer’s, blood-clotting disorders, breast cancer, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, Marfan syndrome, and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.

Could it be a genetic disorder?

My adopted 7 yr old son is very large for his age.  He weighs 110 lbs and is approx 56" tall.  Almost a foot taller than peers.  He has had extreme bowel problems and fecal incontinence for years.  The Dr's say it is just constipation and prescribe Miralax which we have been on and off for years.  With the Miralax the fecal accidents can go up to 10 times a day.  He is very food restrictive and eats no more than 10 bland foods.  He has been tested for gluten allergies and it is negative.  The other thing is he is very pale and often anemic with little energy.  I do not ever see him sweat even when it is hot and he is excercising.  Any ideas would be appreciated, we are so frustrated and tired.  Thank you.
I was a big reserved kid too.  Stop trying to find something wrong with him or he will start to think something is wrong with himself.
Has the pediatrician suggested a visit to a pediatric endocrinologist for his height and weight?  Does your son have any other symptoms.....poor eye contact, trouble with friends, etc?  

As for the constipation, has he ever been on a completely dairy free diet?  No milk, cheese, sour cream, butter, etc.?  My daughter spent her whole life constipated.  She never drank milk, but she would have one or two slices of cheese/ day.  I read on the internet that cow's milk is the #1 constipator.  So I gave it a try and voila!  She started going every day within a week of starting the diet.  She used to go every 4 or 5 days when she had milk products in her diet.  If she cheats even on sour cream  she gets constipated.

As for the negative celiac test:  celiac disease is an autoimmune disease.  Many people just can't digest gluten (they lack the enzymes), and they don't have the autoimmune part.
which is gluten intolerance.  Just a thought.