Genetics Community
Dilated right kidney

This patient support community is for discussions relating to a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Alzheimer’s, blood-clotting disorders, breast cancer, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, Marfan syndrome, and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.

Dilated right kidney

I just had an ultrasound completed at 21 weeks pregnant. I am 27 years old and have a healthy 15 month old baby boy. After the ultrasound, the Dr. came and talked to us and said the the right kidney of our baby girl was slightly dilated. He did not seem to be too concerned with it, but i have been reading a lot of things that connect this to Down Syndrome. He said everything else looked perfectly normal but I still worry! Does anyone have experience in this???
Hello Jerlegg,

Yes, this does often relate to Down syndrome as a "soft marker" for the syndrome.  When the dilated kidney (also known as pyelectasis) is a marker all on it's own, usually you do not have to worry that it is linked to Ds.  If there are other markers present that also indicate Ds, you need to have other testing done if you wish to confirm a diagnosis of Ds.  I am interested to know, have you had any prenatal testing done, such as NT scan, high level ultrasounds, blood work etc?  If you have, please let me know what the results were.  If you are interested to know more, you can contact me directly.  I can provide you with a listing of other common markers that you should be watching out for.

I did answer a post just a few days ago regarding cysts on kidneys with the same question.  You can read the information I provided this user:
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Genetics/what-do-i-expect-if-my-unborn-has-cysts-on-both-his-kidneys/show/1295504?personal_page_id=1186630#post_5935950

It is also important to note that having healthy children before or after having a child with a chromosomal syndrome, is normal.  Most often syndromes like Down syndrome are random occurrences that happen at conception.  It doesn't have to be an inherited genetic problem.  It happens to women all over the world regardless of race, creed, colour etc.

When I was pregnant with my son, he did have pyelectasis, mild to moderate measurement, and it totally resolved in utero before birth.  Do you know what the dilation measurement was?  That is also important.  Slightly sounds pretty mild, but there are ranges that when under a certain mm, tend to resolve without any intervention.

Please let me know if there is anything I can help you with, or provide for you.  You are welcome to send me a direct message anytime.

In addition to anything I have mentioned, please keep in mind, that while I or others may have extensive knowledge in many areas, you should always seek professional medical advice from your own physician, as it pertains to medical conditions or concerns.

Good luck, and if you have any other questions that I can help you with, please feel free to message me directly.

Sincerely,
Sandi (Dragon1973)
MedHelp Genetics Community Leader;
Children - Special Needs Community Leader;
Down syndrome Community Leader & Ds Group Forum Founder/Moderator
I forgot to mention in my post above,

When I mentioned my son, I forgot to mention he was prenatally diagnosed with Down syndrome.  He is a completely "typical" baby, and has never had any health issues etc.  You can read all about him in my blog:  http://welcometoourhouse-myjournal.blogspot.com

Sincerely,
Sandi (Dragon1973)
MedHelp Genetics Community Leader;