Genetics Community
Dr said my baby has a chromosone problem

This patient support community is for discussions relating to a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Alzheimer’s, blood-clotting disorders, breast cancer, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, Marfan syndrome, and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.

I wrote last week about the Dr thinking that my baby I"m now 17 weeks has chromosome problems due to all the problems the Dr seen in the ultrasound including
abnormal
Nose 1 nostril
cardiac position "heart is displaced to the right"
lungs
left & right kidney
bladder is grossly enlarged
and clubbing of the hands and feet.
I had an amnio done and the results came back yesterday that my "baby boy" has FULL TRISOMY 18 and it is very deadly most cases the child does not live till birth only 1% live to a year old My husband and I are devistated I Dont know what to do the Dr said the best thing is to terminate the pregnancy because the bladder clearly visible on ultrasound has a blockage and is retaining so much fluid it is crushing the babies lungs and heart and she said there is a very slim chance i will make it until 23 weeks I am totally against abortion but I feel my baby is suffering so much and the thought of having to go through labor to see my baby and know the pain he has been in the last 17 weeks will destroy me even more please can some one guide me what is the right thing to do
Tags: update
I am so sorry for you and your husband. I know it is very sad to loose your angel because I have been there.  I have no advice for you. Only you can decide what to do and I know it is very hard. I just wanted you to know that I really symapthize. I want you to know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your little family.
hi mandi,my name is lisa,i too have been through such emotional times and its heartbreaking,my thoughts are with you and your family. i lost my daughter aged 4 12 years ago and we didnt know she was poorly till she was born.its the hardest thing anybody has to go through in life. my daughter now maria is 14 and she too has the same rare syndrome and is gradually worsening.im so heartbroken.but iv got to be strong for her. i wish you all the strength in the world and know your not alone.
with sincere best wishes
lisa
i am 32 weeks pregnant with a trisomy 13 baby. there is a chance that he could be born alive. when i found out it was already passed the time i could have legally terminated the pregnancy with a doctor. but, doesn't matter. even though this is the hardest thing that i have ever had to go through i just hold on to the testimonials of people who were so happy that they did not abort and got to hold and see their baby. even though this is the scariest thing for me to imagine enjoying. it seems that no one regrets letting things happen naturally but people who terminate seem to have regrets. i just don't want to add a regret to my already hard situation. and, even though he will not be able to survive on his own in this world he is not in pain in my belly. i will not allow anyone either to give him pain or stick him with needles or tubes. he will either pass on his own in my belly or in my arms and no one else's. i can't believe i have lived with knowing something is terribly wrong with my baby now for 10 weeks. 10 HARD weeks! i don't know what is going to happen in the future either...the labor...seeing him...mourning...trying again? there is just so much for me to still go through. just know you are not alone as i do know this too and am thankful there is a handful of people that i would never have to explain these emotions to. just know that i know how hard it is too. and i hate that we have to live through this. have you listened to the song "Held" by Natalie Grant? i did last night and it just made me cry and feel better all at the same time. lots of tears these days. almost everyday. but, that is just going to have to be okay for now.
I am so sory for what you are going through, I lost my baby on sept 23 but I was only 22-23 weeks but I can honestly telling you hold my baby to say good bye to him made things easier for me. I'm not saying that I doesnt hurt because It is the worst pain I have ever felt in my life, but I got to hold my baby and kiss him. Also we got to give a name he was somebody. I am so sorry for everything stay strong