Genetics Community
Echogenic Foci and worried mom to be

This patient support community is for discussions relating to a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Alzheimer’s, blood-clotting disorders, breast cancer, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, Marfan syndrome, and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.

Echogenic Foci and worried mom to be

Hello, everyone hope all is going well. I am a newcomer to this site. I am 26 years old and 2 years ago I delivered twins a boy and girl at 24 weeks. They survived for only a week and died due to an infection. I am now 18 weeks pregnant with a single child and of course, if you have ever lost a baby it really causes you to worry the second time around. They are taking all the necessary precautions with this pregnancy because I have a weak cervix. So everyday of carrying my child in my womb is such a blessing. At 16 weeks I got the triple quad screen down and all was negative/normal. Yet, today I was informed that the baby had a little spot on its heart that could be a marker for downs. He said it is very common in fetuses. My doc said not to worry being that my results came back fine but with all that I have been through with my previous pregnancy everything worrys me. Can any moms tell me your thoughts on the situation? I am in tears just typing this to you guys. I just been throught so much already. I know that the Lord won't give me more than I can handle. Please advise when ya'll can. Thanks again and May God Bless You All.
Hi chyna, so so sorry about your prior losses.  I sure hope this pregnancy has a good outcome for you.  Echogenic foci is oftentimes a 'normal variant'... that is, it's a shiny spot on the baby's heart that may be absolutely benign.  There are some physicians that feel there is an increased incidence of "echogenic foci" when babies have down syndrome or heart defects, but the link is weak (<5%).  Your doctor should be recommending another ultrasound between 22-24weeks called fetal echocardiogram to check to make sure that the baby doesn't have a structural heart defect, as well as offering you the option to do an amniocentesis if you feel you need to know if the baby has a severe birth defect like Down Syndrome.  REMEMBER: The chances that your baby does NOT have DS or a heart defect are much greater than it being affected by these diseases because they saw the echogenic foci.  Good luck, and god bless.