Genetics Community
Egg donor with Major Depressive Disorder

This patient support community is for discussions relating to a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Alzheimer’s, blood-clotting disorders, breast cancer, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, Marfan syndrome, and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.

I am going to do a donor egg cycle, using a donor who has Major Depressive Disorder and she takes Fluoxetine and Wellbutrin for that.
My questions to you are:
Do these drugs effect the quality of eggs and eggs may not fertilized or embryo produced is not normal?
what are the chances that baby born from egg donated by this donor, has same medical conditions?
I'll appreciate your early response.

Hi there!

There is no evidence of the drugs affecting the quality of the egg with regard to fertilization; while the possibility of the child having a depressive disorder is variable on the precise type of ‘major depressive disorder’ and associations (‘Major’ depressive disorder may not be as major as the term sounds). If associated as a part of psychiatric syndromes there could be a possibility of it being genetically related. It might be a good idea to discuss the issue in detail with your treating gynaecologist and possibly her psychiatrist.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!