Genetics Community
GENETICS for facial hair

This patient support community is for discussions relating to a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Alzheimer’s, blood-clotting disorders, breast cancer, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, Marfan syndrome, and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.

GENETICS for facial hair

Hey y'all,

I'm 18 years old and I have a question about facial hair. The thing is, I really want the potential of a thick, full grown beard. I started to look for products that could possibly enhance my facial hair growth. After doing a bit of research on the internet about facial hair and learned that there was no safe bet on any products that could enhance my hair growth capabilities. Testosterone, Rogaine, and other types of oils and such weren't the answer. In fact, I learned that the only major factor in facial hair growth was genetics, which is what brought me here in the first place.

SO, that got me thinking... Well, my father is able to grow facial hair, so is my brother (only 2 1/2 years older than me). My brother was able to grow thick, full sideburns by the time he was 15/16. I am now 18 and STILL can't grow to the potential he can. He is now about to turn 21 and for the most part he can grow a full beard, besides his mustache which isn't nearly as thick as the rest of his facial hair. Maybe we have different levels of testosterone, I thought. He has always been an adrenaline junkie, the jock and all that. On the other hand, I've always been more settle, an artist you might say. Although I did play sports throughout my childhood years and up through high school. So does exercise and physical activity play a role? Does it increase your testosterone levels that also enhance your hair growth?

Since we are brothers, born of the same mother and father, why does my brother have the ability to grow more facial hair than I do? Did he inherit more of the gene than I did? Is there any natural way to enhance my facial hair growth without putting my health to risk?

Please help! THANK YOU