Genetics Community
HLAB 27 Inheriting

This patient support community is for discussions relating to a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Alzheimer’s, blood-clotting disorders, breast cancer, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, Marfan syndrome, and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.

HLAB 27 Inheriting

If a child has the HLAB27 maker and one parent has been tested and shown not to have it, must the other parent have it or can it skip a generation and actually have been inherited from a grandparent?

This discussion is related to HLA-B27.
  • cousin marriang (2 replies):
    My first cousin which is 30 is dating my daughter which ...[more]
  • UH-OH?? (4 replies):
    I may be pregnant by my first cousin. Like my mothers br...[more]
  • hyperinsulinism (1 replies):
    our 6 month old was born with hyperinsulinism and has si...[more]
  • aberration
    Hello. At the beginning sorry for my English but not ...[more]
  • Genetic (3 replies):
    Hi, I would like to marry my niece who is my mother's el...[more]
If a child has the HLA-B27 marker and one parent has been shown not to have it then yes, the other parent must be positive for it. It should be noted however that most people that are HLA-B27 positive never develop any diseases associated with the gene, so it is possible to have it and never know about it.
What is meant by a gene skipping a generation is that it is actually there in the genome of the "skipped" individual but silent, that is, it´s effect cannot be seen. As mentioned above this is most often the case with HLA-B27. This individual´s child might then inherit the gene and be affected by it. A child cannot inherit a gene straight from a grandparent. A parent must have it in his or her own genome in order to pass it on to the next generation.
My husband has the hlab27 marker and has aynkliosingspondilitis (sorry about the spelling) and his parents do not have the diseases associated with the hlab27 marker. I don't believe they have been tested for the marker though. But his great grandfather had AS.