Genetics Community
HRT for MTHFR ???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Alzheimer’s, blood-clotting disorders, breast cancer, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, Marfan syndrome, and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.

HRT for MTHFR ???

has any research been done as to the effects of Hormone Replacement Therapy, slowing down the process of MTHFR C677T.  Unlike most ppl who seem to post questions or concerns re MTHFR, I have successfully and with no complications had my children  and never knew I had this mutation until 4 years ago, I'm now 48.  My onset of problems presented as extreme iron deficiency and with more testing discovered folic acid,b6 and 12 deficiencies.  After several rounds of iv iron and continued problems my hematologist ran this test and presented me with this diagnosis, gave me folic in high doses and went ahead and scheduled me for my next round of iv iron ,which I am having to replace more and more often.  It began at 2 yr intervals and we are now doing the iv iron every four months.  Needless to say I am not thrilled with this arrangement and am desperate to "just go back to being me without having to be *topped off*"  Rambling, sorry, so, I am thinking that if the HRT is working to reverse the side effects of menopause ... then why couldn't it reverse this process as well .. and has anyone tried??  Because, what doesn't seem to be discussed is how draining and exhausting the "depletion" process is when the iron, folic, and b's decide to tank ... and they do ... repeatedly.