Genetics Community
Help please

This patient support community is for discussions relating to a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Alzheimer’s, blood-clotting disorders, breast cancer, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, Marfan syndrome, and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.

Help please

I am 6 weeks pregnant .with My first child and i have a cyst on My overie will it effect My pregnancy ?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? An ovarian cyst  diagnosed in early pregnancy may be caused by a variety of issues. One kind is  due to a physiological cyst known as the corpus luteum  which is a normal finding  during this time. This usually  resolves spontaneously after the first trimester and will not have any adverse effect on the pregnancy. Depending on the initial findings, repeat scan may be performed to monitor the cyst. However, if an ovarian cyst ruptures, twists or if there is bleeding into the middle of the cyst, further evaluation may need to be done. It is best that you discuss the results of your scan with your doctor to ease any worry. Take care and do keep us posted.