Genetics Community
Heterozygous for MTHFR C677T

This patient support community is for discussions relating to a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Alzheimer’s, blood-clotting disorders, breast cancer, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, Marfan syndrome, and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.

Heterozygous for MTHFR C677T

I have had 3 miscarriages since January, one being a twin pregnancy. I just recently found out that I tested positive for Heterozygous MTHFR C677T. I saw a specialist (RE) at the Cleveland Clinic last week that told me this was niot causing my miscarriages. I have been tested and tested and tested and this is the ONLY thing I am positive for. I have seen that many people take baby aspril or take shots of heperan along with extra folic and B vitamins. PLEASE HELP! I just don't know who to believe and who not to believe.
go to your search Engine and put in Miscarriage ,thre maybe a forum where you can ask questions aswell there is a Mother and Baby site on Med help, put your question ther other Members may have some answers,
I just miscarried at 15 weeks.  I came back with the same results...heterozygote C677T and everything else tested negative.  I spoke to my doctor tonight and she is going to send us to a perinatologist (sp?) if and when we do get pregnant again.  She said that studies have been inconclusive but that some Dr.s would put one on a blood thinner.  I would recommend a referral to a high-risk dr.

Good luck and God bless you and your family.  My heart is with you.

Shannon
I had an unsucessful implantation of three embryos with no answer of why from my IVF Md since everything else in the process was successfull.  I came across the book "Is Your Body Baby Friendly" by world renowned reproductive immunology specialist Dr. Alan E. Beer.  The book speaks to women who have had problems conceiving, miscarriages one or more etc .and how through immunology testing problems can be prevented once you know what is going on with the body and treat it.  Needless to say Dr. Beer is deceased but the book provides reference of other physicians who specialize in the field one in particular who study with Dr. Beer is Dr. Joanne Kwak Kim of Rosalind Franklin University Reproductive Medicine Center.  Long story short I went to Dr. Kim and I as you, found out that I have a positive MTHFR C677 mutation.  Such people with this mutation are at risk for atherosclerosis and thromboembolism, pregnancy wastage ( misscarriages), implantation failure( me), fetal neural tube defect, uteroplacental insufficiency, fetal growth restriction and placental infarction.  Dr. Kwak Kim has placed me on a regimen to fight this before my next go at a transfer.  Basically not enough blood flow gets to the fetus.  hope this helps.

Tina
Forgot to mention that I was put on the regimen you mentioned the baby aspirin, the blood thinners, vitamin E, folic acid and other meds. Again the problem is decrease in blood flow the capillaries leading to the embryo do not provide enough blood flow for viability.

God Bless
Tina
Hi Christine, I have the same diagnosis. I have had many miscarriages also. The last pregnancy, I was put on Lovenox shots the entire pregnancy. I delivered a healthy baby girl. Now, I'm pregnant again and back on the Lovenox. I'm also a RN. If you are still struggling with this, please feel free to email me. ***@****. I'd be happy to give you some advice about getting to the correct doctor. Thanks, Mishel
I just came across your post. I was also recently diagnosed with two mutations of C677T after having a m/c.  I am currently on folbic acid (b vitamins included) and have an appt next week to see a hemotoligist. Has anyone else gone to see this type of DR?
I have had 5 miscarriages and am now on pregnancy #6. My hubby and I live in rural Alabama. My high risk Dr. is 1 hr 45 minutes away. He also wont prescribe me the blood thinners. Last couple days I have been taking 2 low dose baby aspirin plus Rovin for folic and iron, and vit D, and Omega 3. I haven't been to the doctor yet but I believe I am about 4 weeks along. I am also C677T heterozygous I think, (  it might be homo) for MTHFR.
I'm 37 and I expect to miscarry in Jan. I just haven't had any luck with having even one child. I haven't ever been pregnant long enough to hear a heartbeat. I always miscarry btw 6 and 8 wks.
I have noticed that 2 of my m/c happened during or close to running on the treadmill. MTHFR cases that I have read mentioned implantation problems, I guess no jogging/high impact exercise then.
I have noticed that a lot of MThfr women have healthy babies so I haven't completly given up hope.
This stuff is so sad. Moms don't know how lucky they are to have a healthy child/pregnancy the first go-round. I don't think there is much you can do but be patient and hope, and don't be too hard on yourself when it doesn't happen. Also, you hubbys/partners out there? Please be accepting of this. Sometimes there is just nothing you can do but be positive whether the baby sticks or not.
I also had 3 miscarriages in a row.  Doctors have run 3d ultrasound, genetic tests on my husband and I, etc.  The only thing that came back was heterozygous for C677T.  I am with a fertility specialist now who said he will treat this with folic acid supplements and baby aspirin when we start the IVF process.  Hopefully this will help.
Hello Christine,

I haven't had a chance to read all the responses posted to your question here, but I thought I would mention to you and everyone else who is concerned about recurrent pregnancy loss and MTHFR.  I have a group here on MH that I specifically created for MTHFR.  I too have the same variant (C677T) and also suffered three miscarriages this year.  I am now treated properly for the MTHFR (something that is very hard to do I learned) and am now currently and successfully 16 weeks pregnant.  
There is a ton of information that I have posted regarding this genetic variant simply because it is not well known - or rather is known but has much debate surrounding it's treatment.  Please take the time to look at the group forum I put together on this very topic - MTHFR (and recurrent pregnancy loss) and hopefully you can take some of the information that I have listed and put together back to your doctor or find a specialist who deals with MTHFR as I have had to do.  Also you will find many others in this group who you can ask or chat with who have gone through or are currently going through what you and I have.

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/MTHFR-Methylenetetrahydrofolate-reductase/show/961?camp=msc

Please also do not hesitate to message me directly.  I have much information that I can share with you or anyone else who is just learning about this Variant.  If you can get tested for it and also on a treatment regimen, it can change your life with respect to trying to conceive and staying pregnant.

In addition to anything I have mentioned, please keep in mind, that while I or others may have extensive knowledge in many areas, you should always seek professional medical advice from your own physician, as it pertains to medical conditions or concerns.

Good luck, and if you have any other questions that I can help you with, please feel free to message me directly.

Sincerely,
Sandi (Dragon1973)
MedHelp Genetics Community Leader;
Children - Special Needs Community Leader;
Down syndrome Community Leader & Ds Group Forum Founder/Moderator;
MTHFR Group Forum Founder/Moderator;
Pregnancy: June 2011 Community Leader