Genetics Community
I need someone's help.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Alzheimer’s, blood-clotting disorders, breast cancer, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, Marfan syndrome, and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.

I need someone's help.

I am a 23 year old male who has suffered from extreme panic disorder, medical issues and anxiety disorders. I have aortic stenosis, aortic regurgitation, underactive thyroid, aura migraines, asthma, vocal cord dysfunction, and a few other minor issues.

When I started taking my first antidepressant, I was 16 and house bound for two years. The medicine I started was Prozac. It was a miracle. I felt brand new, I wanted to go to school and I began having a social life again.

Unfortunately, the medicine lost its affect no matte how high the dosages went. Then I was put on Paxil. Again, a miracle moment. I felt better than ever and this time it lasted 3-4 years. I barely had anxiety, and I didn’t even need a benzo at the time.

After that medicine started working, I tried several more, hoping to get the relief again. I tried Zoloft, Cymbalta, Zyprexa, Valium, Elavil, Xanax (made me more nervous), Klonopin, Ativan (currently on), Abilify and Seroquel.

None of these medicines, on any dose took away my panic or anxiety.

I had a 24 hour urine collection to test for tumors on my adrenal glands, as well as my dopamine level, etc. But it came back normal.

I started taking Effexor, after doing some serious research of my own. After 3 days on the low dose, I felt healed. I felt amazing and incredible. I drove across the state, and actually went on vacation.

I came down with bronchitis and needed an antibiotic according to my doctor. So I took amoxicillin, and started to realize that my Effexor wasn’t working. I learned that the antibiotic actually cancelled out my medicine. I found that this happened to a lot of people who were in the same situation.

Ever since then, my Effexor never felt the same, and even after upping the dose, still nothing.

I know that whatever is wrong, is in fact in my brain. I have had MRI’s, MRA’s, EEGs..etc.

All negative.

I have tried for 15 years all natural ways of dealing with this, with not one once of difference. Books, meditation (I even meditated with a monk), breathing, exercising, diets. Everything.

What should my next move be? I currently am in therapy weekly and see a psychiatrist every few weeks, who always seems baffled.

I was told because of my childhood and life trauma, along with biological differences, that medicine might not work for me, the same way it does for someone else with the same problems.

My therapist recommends a PET scan, But my Psychiatrist disagrees...

My therapist was also talking about Genetic conditions that could play a role, since my biology is clearly "odd"

What would be a way to see if or which Genetic condition I might have? I was looking at this list:

http://www.kumc.edu/gec/support/

Can someone please help me?

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this.

-Brian
Since most of the investigations even for adrenals have come out clear it is less likely a medical cause. Genetic diseases can be investigated by getting a DNA profile done. Molecular, chromosomal, and biochemical genetic testing are used to diagnose genetic disorders. It is more likely a psychiatric panic disorder rather than a genetic disease.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.