Genetics Community
Miscarriage due to turner's syndrome(Need HELP)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Alzheimer’s, blood-clotting disorders, breast cancer, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, Marfan syndrome, and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.

Hi all
I got pregnant the 1st time in may 09 during my 1st visit found out the growth was only 5 1/2 week had to have a D&C.Then i conceived again in nov 09.found heratbeat in the 8th week but during the 12th week found tht the baby's growth stopped at 8 1/2 weeks.I was also on progestrone since week 5 the 2nd time it was more like on a safer side.They did karyotyping for my 2nd miscarriage  and tdy got bck the results.
Well i wanted it to be normal but unforunately nothing i wish seems to be happening .We found tht our baby
had turner's syndrome.We spoke to the Dr tdy and she said that it had got nothing to do with me or my hubby.It was just a random one again and she has recommended genetic counselling

but now my question is could something be wrong with me or hubby .Or just like the dr we could still be perfect and this was just a random chromosome abnormality that happened the 2nd time too..

What should i expect from a genetic counselling

* Could this be even preventable.
* This might sound stupid but would going for IVF/IUI or other treatment improve my chances of having a healthy baby b'coz they would place only the ones that are washed/cleaned etc .Im sorry if im wrong here i dnt know much about these fertility treatments.

*If this treatment might increase my chance of having healthy baby would the Dr even recommend it.Or would it be recommended only in other scenarios and not in my case.

The thing is i want to do something the 3rd time that would reduce my chances of having a misccariage.even if it means doing IVF/IUI ,but my only concern is even if im ready would the Dr recommend me.

Btw Im 27 and hubby is 35 ,i have never been on any birth control pills or any mediacation for tht matter.

Would like to hear some success stories or some hope.and also some infor about what all i need ask when i go in for my appt with the genetic counsellor and what would will i be expecting from them.

My condolences to you and your husband at this difficult time.  Usually, Turner syndrome is a random occurrence, and chances are that your doctor is right: it probably has nothing to do with you or your husband and is the result of a 'fluke' of nature.  As many as 1 in 3 women will experience early loss of a first pregnancy, and many babies with Turner syndrome result in miscarriage -- it's nothing you or your husband did wrong, nor is it something you could prevent from happening.  

IVF/IUI is usually a strong consideration for women who have difficulty CONCEIVING a pregnancy for one reason or another; IVF and IUI procedures usually do NOT include any "washing" or "cleaning" as you mentioned.  IVF (in-vitro fertilization) is simply fertilization outside the womb that is then implanted; IUI (intra-uterine insemination) is simply introducing sperm artificially into the womb. It is unlikely that either procedure would increase your chances of having a healthy baby; in fact, IVF may actually increase the incidence of birth syndromes slightly.

You might be thinking of a process known as PGD, or pre-implantation genetic diagnosis, in which fertilization (IVF) is performed in a lab, and the fertilized eggs are tested for abnormalities before implantation.  However, even PGD has a 5-10% error rate -- that is, even normal test results on PGD don't guarantee a healthy baby.

I know of many women who have had losses due to unknown causes and/or Turner syndrome and go on to have healthy babies.  There are cases of babies with Turner syndrome that result from a parent's inborn genetic makeup, but those cases are VERY, VERY rare and highly unusual.  Meeting with a genetic counselor should help you and your husband understand Turner syndrome and other birth defects as well as address your concerns and help to answer your questions.  Hope that helps some.
Best wishes and good luck to you and your husband. ~eureka
I really don't know about Turner Syndrome but wanted to let you know that you are INCORRECT in regard to IVF/IUI with washing sperm.  In both cases that I have done the sperm is washed.  With IVF it's washed prior to being placed in dish with eggs to fertalize & with IUI it's washed prior to being inseminated into womens body.  I guess you possibly are not familiar with these procedures.
I would recommend talking with a reproductive endocrinoligst.  For me personally I have a blood clotting disorder & went to a hemotolgist.
Best Wishes to you!!
You are right that SPERM undergoes what people call "washing" prior to ivf/iui, but that process does not necessarily remove chromosomally abnormal sperm, which I presumed to be madpre's question.  So-called sperm "wash" is to remove chemicals, debris, and dead/immotile sperm that would most likely be unsuccessful in any fertilization, in either case of iui or ivf; to better explain SPERM "washing":

http://www.ivf-infertility.com/insemination/intrauterine/insemination9.php
"The aim of washing and preparation of the sperm are to separate sperm from seminal plasma, remove bacteria and other debris and chemicals that may cause infection and irritation and improve sperm capacitation."

http://www.womens-health.co.uk/collecting-and-washing-sperm-for-iui.html
"Sperm Washing, The Basics:
The term, sperm washing, is probably a misnomer because the sperm are not actually washed or cleaned. They are separated from the semen through one of several different processes ..."
"Ejaculate is comprised of two parts, seminal fluid, and sperm. There are many types of hormones and chemicals present in semen that can be problematic for fertilization. Prostaglandins, which are responsible for a wide variety of bodily functions, have the potential to cause serious difficulties. If high levels of prostaglandins are injected directly into a woman's uterus, the woman can become very ill. She may experience very severe and painful cramping, nausea, vomiting, fever and diarrhea because of prostaglandin absorption during IUI. That is why it is necessary to separate the sperm from the semen prior to IUI..."

The sperm preparation for IVF/IUI is related to the process of  fertilization used in both methods for women who experience infertility.  In madpre's case, she is obviously able to conceive, so it is appropriate for her to see geneticists, not endocrinologists.  Though it may have been appropriate for you to see endocrinologists/reproductive specialists, it would be irresponsible to refer a woman who had fetal diagnosis of turner syndrome to a reproductive endrocinologist.