Genetics Community
Multiple Genetic Disorders

This patient support community is for discussions relating to a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Alzheimer’s, blood-clotting disorders, breast cancer, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, Marfan syndrome, and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.

Multiple Genetic Disorders

I'm trying to stay up to date on my genetic disorders.... I was diagnosed with Reactive Arthritis in 2004.  The blood work showed me to be HLA-B27 and ANA +  Then, after some pregnancy complications, blood testing showed me to have MTHFR  and   1 copy of a factor V mutation.  I've never had blood clotting (took blood thinners before my last pregancy c-section) and only a few minor flares of the reactive arthritis.  

So, the day to day is that I take baby asprin to avoid possible blood clotting.  I'm wondering if it's common to have this many genetic issues (though thankfully none are difficult to deal with currently) and/or if there is any relation between them?  

Hello Indiana2434,

I think there must definitely be.  I too have MTHFR (C677T Heterozygous variant) and also Arthritis (and I believe it was the same HLA-B27 diagnosis).  I take low dose 81mg baby aspirin (amongst other things) each day.  I am having further testing for Factor V Leiden (1691G>A) variant or the prothrombin 20210G>A variant, since receiving the C677T diagnosis.

I had just answered a post before where the user was asking about Connective tissue disorders (EDS or Ehlers Danlos syndrome) a post by Hunnybunny one 30Aug here in this Forum.  To me, this person sounded like they were describing me.  I had to wonder if perhaps these are connected in some way.  Do you ever suffer with popping or loose joints?  Or constipation or perhaps anything that the user listed?  I am curious to find out if there is some connection.  But, the thing is - I don't personally have a diagnosis for EDS.  I do know that after reading these I would like to be tested for it though.  Does this sound like you too?  Maybe you can message me directly if you can, with my answering so many posts, it's sometimes hard to tell if and when these specific messages get responses.  (My "watch list" is extremely lengthy.)

In addition to anything I have mentioned, please keep in mind, that while I or others may have extensive knowledge in many areas, you should always seek professional medical advice from your own physician, as it pertains to medical conditions or concerns.

Good luck, and if you have any other questions that I can help you with, please feel free to message me directly.

Sincerely,
Sandi (Dragon1973)
MedHelp Genetics Community Leader;
Children - Special Needs Community Leader;
Down syndrome Community Leader & Ds Group Forum Founder/Moderator