Genetics Community
My son has a deletion in chromosome 12..what does that mean?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Alzheimer’s, blood-clotting disorders, breast cancer, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, Marfan syndrome, and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.

My son had test ran and UNC Chapel Hill, NC for developmental delays. They ran a Fragile X DNA, Microarray analysis and a Chromosome study. Okay, everything turn out normal except they found a small deletion on chromosome 12....everything that I have searched for pulls up turmors and caner...stuff like that...I don't know if it is the short arm or long arm 12......??????.....I just want answers.....I don't know where to go or who to ask right now...I am at my wits end....My son is 5...her has a speech delay....he knows the ABCs....the colors...numbers....shapes...he tries to write letters....with help.....he loves music....he is VERY active...too much ACTIVE....he does not listen very good...like telling him to stop doing things...he does it anyway...you can put him in time out...spank hi hinney....it does not good...he gets very agressive at times...bumps his head on you...over and over...he hums...he gets excited and flaps his hands and stomps his feet...asking him what he ate for lunch that day...he repeats the question and can't tell you...he can tell you yes and no questions..only if you ask him "yes or no" and give him a chose to answer....he gets to talking and then he babbles like a toodler learning to talk...he has a puppy well...even a friends cat...that he will hold to his cheeks because he likes the feel of their fur....he is not your average 5 year old...he is in special ed at school...hoping that is a good thing for him...he has been in schools since he was 3 years old....special classes with kids like him....he has taken speech 2xs a week since he was 2 1/2 yrs old...I don't know what to do and I need answers...