Genetics Community
N.C.A.H and adrenal crisis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Alzheimer’s, blood-clotting disorders, breast cancer, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, Marfan syndrome, and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.

N.C.A.H and adrenal crisis

I was told i have NCAH. I am a 31 yr old women and have had a lot of health issues over the years i believe are due to this NCAH. Im curious if a untreated women with this condition can have a adrenal crisis. I was having black out spells. The worse time my husband had to take me to the ER. I was chilled and had blacked out 10 times in less then 30 mins. When i tried to wake up i would start to vomit. When i got to the hospital my blood pressure was so low that it was unreadable. i kept blacking out even laying down. They said my heart was trying to stop. Is a adrenal crisis possible with the non-classical form? Just diagnosed about a year ago.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? NCAH results from a defect in an enzyme necessary for the conversion of cholesterol to cortisol, which is the body’s primary stress hormone.Typical symptoms such as hirsutism, oligomenorrhea, infertility, acne, and premature pubarche lead to an ascertainment bias in favor of identifying affected women. On the other hand, acute adrenal crisis is a life-threatening condition that occurs when there is not enough cortisol, a hormone produced by the adrenal glands. Known risk factors for adrenal crisis include dehydration, infection and other physical stress, injury to the adrenal or pituitary gland, stopping treatment with steroids such as prednisone or hydrocortisone quickly or too early, surgery or trauma. To determine the underlying cause of your black outs, further evaluation may need to be done. additional diagnostic tests may also be indicated. Take care and do keep us posted.