Genetics Community
Paternal and Maternal Genetics re Cadasil

This patient support community is for discussions relating to a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Alzheimer’s, blood-clotting disorders, breast cancer, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, Marfan syndrome, and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.

My father died from CADASIL a few years ago. I have had the genetic testing for the disease and do not have the mutated gene. I have heard from relatives that it may only be passed down by your mother. Is there any truth to this?
Tags: cadasil
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? CADASIL  or Cerebral Autosomal Dominant Arteriopathy with Sub-cortical Infarcts and Leukoencephalopathy,  is an inherited form of cerebrovascular disease that occurs when the thickening of blood vessel walls blocks the flow of blood to the brain. It is an autosomal dominant inheritance disorder, meaning that one parent carries and passes on the defective gene. Most individuals with CADASIL have a family history of the disorder. ( ref: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/cadasil/CADASIL.htm)
Take care and regards.