Genetics Community
Purple knees

This patient support community is for discussions relating to a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Alzheimer’s, blood-clotting disorders, breast cancer, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, Marfan syndrome, and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.

Purple knees

Why does my knees turn reddish purple color? No pain in knees or anything. A few of my family members get them too.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Aside from the color changes in the knees, what other symptoms are present? Changes in skin color may be due to skin issues involving melanin pigments, hormone, medication side effect  and even conditions of the skin,. If there is no history of trauma,or any identified cause,  it is best that you have this checked by your doctor for proper evaluation. Direct clinical examination is important. Inherited causes may also need to be ruled out especially if some other family members also have this change in color in the knee. Take care and do keep us posted.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
There is no other symptoms with the color change. My legs have always turned purple-ish and look like veins are on top skin when they get cold. Not sure how to explain what they do or look like.