Genetics Community
Should I try to conceive at 43 after my miscarriage was due down syndr...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Alzheimer’s, blood-clotting disorders, breast cancer, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, Marfan syndrome, and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.

Should I try to conceive at 43 after my miscarriage was due down syndrome

I have two healthy children when I was 33 and 35 with a 6 week miscarriage in between the two. My husband and I tried till I was 40 to get pregnant and even when to the fertility specialist. We decided to just give up on the baby dream at a 40 but hoped a miracle would happen one day. Anyway on my 43 rd birthday found out I was pregnant. I miscarried with D&C at 11 weeks and found out today I had a girl with down syndrome. I want another child so badly but so scared about having a Down Syndrome baby. What are my odds and what can I do to make my odds better?
The odds of having a child with Down Syndrome only increases as you get older. I don't remember the exact rates but I know it skyrockets after 35 and just increases. I also heard that having one child with Down Syndrome increases your rate of having another, although I don't know if it is statistically significant. Also, your age doesn't just put you at risk for Down Syndrome but also other genetic diseases caused by Trisomy (duplicated chromosomes) or mutations. I think it may also put you in a high risk group for additional complications during pregnancy. My advice would be to talk to an OB or a genetic counselor. They will really be able to give you a full picture of possible complications and how to best keep yourself healthy if you consider another pregnancy. Also, you might want to look into adoption. There are tons of children in need of a good home.