Genetics Community
Tested Positive for HLA-B27

This patient support community is for discussions relating to a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Alzheimer’s, blood-clotting disorders, breast cancer, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, Marfan syndrome, and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.

Tested Positive for HLA-B27

It's hard to know who to ask these questions of, but I have tested positive for HLA-B27 gene.  The test was done after seeing 3 GP's, 2 hand specialists and a rheumatologist.  Almost 5 months ago I started having symptoms of pain in my right wrist, it progressed to about 1 month later having extreme pain in the night, tingling and numb fingers.  I had some swelling in my wrist up to that point.  I began using ibuprofen and tylenol to relieve the extreme pain which at that point was a 9 during the day and a 10 at nite.  I also iced it and wore a splint.  My fingers began swelling along with my hand and wrist, mostly my pinky and ring finger.  I had an MRI, which showed I had significant inflammation and was sent to the rheumatologist who tested me for HLA-B27, which was positive.  He told me the name of the disease I have is HLA-B27.  I don't understand, because it talks about the gene making you be more susceptible for other things like AS and other spondaloarthopathies, tendonitis, uveitis, etc.  I am on an anti-inflammatory medication, but the I still can't bend my pinky finger because of the swelling.  I was told I have inflammatory arthritis, is that a manifestation of the gene I have tested positive for?

This discussion is related to HLA-B27.