Genetics Community
Trisomy 16

This patient support community is for discussions relating to a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Alzheimer’s, blood-clotting disorders, breast cancer, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, Marfan syndrome, and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.

Trisomy 16

Hi.  I just got the test results back from my fetus.  I miscarried for the 2nd and possibly 3rd time.  It shows trisomy 16.  Anyone out there have any stories about having a healthy baby after this?   My husband and I will get blood test done this Friday and begin Genetic Counseling in the next few weeks.  If anyone has any information about your chances of having a healthy baby or if it is not a possibility I would love to hear from you.  I am 33 and my husband is 39.  Amy
Hello
I am sorry to hear that this has happened to you.  Unfortunately, it is a very common problem.  Trisomy 16 is the most common chromosome problem in human conception; it happens all the time.  Most of the time the woman doesn't even know she was pregnant. There is a conception, the embryo grows a while and then stops growing because of the extra chromosome. (normally there are two chromosomes, one from the egg and one from the sperm.  Trisomy, from French, means three - one too many).  Down syndrome, for example, is Trisomy 21.  Most trisomy 21 conceptions stop before the woman knows she is pregnant too.  But, some don't and result in a baby with Downs.  Here is the important point:  Trisomy 16 is the most common trisomy, it almost always results in a miscarriage - sometimes late enough that you find later in pregnancy, and it is a condition that can not result in a live baby.  It is a lethal condition.  As difficult as it is to believe, mother nature protected you from carrying this pregnancy any further - it could not live.  If you really have had three miscarriages, then seeing a Genetic Counselor is important.  Miscarriages are incredibly common - most couples that have a couple children have had at least one miscarriage that they know about. But, sometimes a cause can be identified.  Depending on your pregnancy history, they may (may) recommend testing your chromosomes, to be sure they are "balanced".  It is doubtful, especially with trisomy 16, that you have a "problem" - but the Genetic Counselor is well trained to know when further testing is warranted or not.  There are many obstetrical reasons for a miscarriage - and genetic problems is NOT at the top of the list.  The important point to remember is this:  See an expert, and realize that in the end, is is very, very likely that you and your husband can have a healthy baby.  You are not alone; miscarriages happen to lots of couples.  Lots of them.  You can get through this - and you will.
I feel for you, we found out friday that when have a chromosone defect with our baby and it will not survive. I will be induced on wednesday. they suspect trisomy 13 but there is also of chance of something else (can't remember everything a blur)
My thoughts are with you
I am so sorry. How far along? I'll be praying 4u on friday
I was 19 weeks. The test (amnio) results did come back that is was trismoy 13. so he said hat it means it probably was just a "fluke" but there is 1 type of trisomy 13 that is hereditary so we have to wait 4-6 more weeks until the full results of the amnio come back
Hi, my name is maribel, Im 32 yrs old. I have two kids 11 and 9 yrs old. I got pregnant with my son in december 09 when the results to my AFPT came back they were abnormal. A few weeks after I had to have a ultrasound which found a few soft markers. I was advised I should have a amnio, so I did and it came back T13. I was so  heartbroken to learn that my son would not survive. The doctors told me to terminate the pregnancy but I said no, that I would go through whatever but I would give my son a chance to live. On sept 22 my son was born, he was born with extra little fingers and toes but besides that he was perfect. I met him I fed him changed him and was blessed to have him even if it was only for three days. On sept 25 he passed away in my arms it was the hardest thing ever, but I know in my heart that I did the right thing and gave him the chance. A few months have passed now and even though the pain of not having my son with  me is still there I have been trying to have another baby. If there is anyone who can help me with this please do so. It took me so long to get PG with my son do you think that since Ive had these kids I will be able to have more children. I know that cannot replace my son and I am not trying to because I love him so much, but I guess until you go through something like this the you dont know how much you need the comfort of holding your child.