Genetics Community
foods to avoid with Polycethemia vera

This patient support community is for discussions relating to a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Alzheimer’s, blood-clotting disorders, breast cancer, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, Marfan syndrome, and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.

foods to avoid with Polycethemia vera

I was recently diagnosed with Polycethemia vera. I have had 3 phlbotomies. I would like to know what foods to avoid that will keep my hemoglobin and hemotocrit and RBC numbers down.

This discussion is related to Polycythemia Vera.
I try not to eat foods with high amounts of iron, although my doctor feels that has no connection I seem to feel my hemoglobin will stay at a normal # when I watch my iron intake.
I also have PCV and my Dr. said that food intake didn't matter but to stay away from taking iron supplements and vitamins with extra iron.
If you hear differently please post for the rest of us.
Best of luck to you and I wish you the best of health.
I have been battling with PCV for over 11 years. My Doctor told me to avoid foods rich in iron, (like spinach), avoid all vitamins that contain Iron, and stay away from Iron fortified foods. I was also told to lower my sodium (salt) intake. I no longer add salt to my food, except for perhaps a small amount in cooking. I try to buy foods low-salt or unsalted. Since I am also on a water pill, the low salt diet helps with that as well.
I hope I have helped. If anyone hears differently, please post it for the rest of us.
Wishing good health to all... ♥