Genetics Community
friend's 2-year-old has a rare chromosomal deletion???
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to a person’s predisposition to a variety of medical conditions such as Alzheimer’s, blood-clotting disorders, breast cancer, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, Marfan syndrome, and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

friend's 2-year-old has a rare chromosomal deletion???

I'm really hoping someone here can help me out with some information..... A dear friend of mine just found out that her 2-year-old daughter has a rare chromosomal deletion, apparently she is missing the short arm of chromosome 16? She's got a severe protein allergy and receives special formula through a G-tube in her stomach....she also has speech delays as a result of this rare chromosomal problem. I was wondering what are the treatment options for this?  Do they have genetic therapy that they can perform to help her overcome this deficiency? I am asking because, while I know my friends are exploring every avenue of knowledge/treatment, I was hoping maybe I could help them come up with some more knowledge. I would appreciate any help you can offer....I know this is a very rare condition, but I'm just hoping to help them shed some light on this situation. They've been trying to come up with an answer for this ever since their baby started showing severe allergies to breastmilk at around a year of age and her growth began to stunt. They finally have this answer, but it's not really much of an answer and I know they're relieved to know but frustrated at not knowing more!! Thank you for your help :)